1. Database Location - Absolute path for the 7 Sticky Notes database file, called by default notes.mdb. This file is by default located at Windows' Application Data folder, but it can be placed inside any other folder, including on removable medias and shared network folders, and have any name. Its default AppData folder can be:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\7 Sticky Notes\notes.mdb
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\7 Sticky Notes\notes.mdb
Important note: When running in the portable mode of 7 Sticky Notes, the database path will be forced for the local program folder, to allow compatibility when moving a removable storage drive on different computers with different drive names In this way, under portable mode the database location at this field will be locked and will not be modifiable. To use choose other databases, use the "Additional Databases".
2. Backup Button - Creates a backup of the currect database at a user-defined folder.
3. Restore Button - When you click the restore button, 7 Sticky Notes will restore all your notes from the selected database file, overwriting the current database. This is specially interesting when restoring backup databases, but must be used with care, since all notes will be overwritten. For safety reasons, an automatic database backup is created inside the "syncdownbackups" folder inside the 7 Sticky Notes AppData folder, to allow you to roll back any restore.
4. Additional Databases Pane - By clicking over the "Additional Databases" label, you access the feature of 7 Sticky Notes called "Fast Database Switching". This feature allows you to create a customizable list of databases that you would like to have a quick access to, and was designed to allow easily switching between different databases that, for instance, can be used by several teams each one respective to one project. Once this list is created, it will be then accessible at the Program Menu to allow quickly switching between the databases.
5. Add Database Button - Allows you to select a database and add it to the list. Once you click que Add Database Button, you will be prompted to select an existing database, but if the specified database does not exist, then 7 Sticky Notes will create a new one for you. The same feature is available by drag-and-drop functionality for existing databases directly to the databases list.
Note that when you make the program switch to any of the additional databases from the program menu, some program functions will point to the new database. This is explained in the Program Menu Topic. Also, invalid databases (invalid path) will be showed red at the list.
6. Remove Database From List Button - Allows you to remove the selected database from the list. If the database is being used (selected at the Program Menu), you will not be able to remove it until you switch to a different database.
7. Edit Database Button - Allows you to change the properties of the selected list database item. When clicked, you will be able to (1) change the database name and (2) re-define its path.
8. Move Database Up Button - Move the selected database one position up on the list.
9. Move Database Down Button - Move the selected database one position down on the list.
10. "Use last selected database when starting the program" - When selected, 7 Sticky Notes will remember the last used database (either Primary or from the Additional Databases List), and use it next time the program starts.
11. "Enable Automatic Database Backup" - Enables the automatic database backup feature of 7 Sticky Notes, allowing you to keep safe backups of the database in case you want. If this option is enabled, 7 Sticky Notes will automatically backup the main database at the selected folder according to the recurrence set up below, and will control the number of backup files according to the maximum specified number.
Note that is you are using additional databases (configured at the Databases Section), but don't have the option #6 showed below enabled, even if you are connected to an additional database, the auto-backup will still backup the primary database.
12. Backup Folder - Specifies the path of the folder where 7 Sticky Notes will store the database backup files.
13. "Maximum number of stored backup files inside the folder" - This option is used to limit the number of database files and helps to control the size of the backup folder. In this example, the maximum number of files is 10, so once the there are 10 backup files inside the folder, 7 Sticky Notes will delete the oldest one (FIFO), so there can be room for the new backup.
14. Backup Recurrence - Advanced configuration for the backup dates and times. You can configure the automatic backup to happen (1) at every time or after a period (seconds, minutes or hours) 7 Sticky Notes starts, (2) before 7 Sticky Notes exits, (3) daily at a defined time, (4) weekly at a specific hour, minute, and second of selected days of the week (Monday-Sunday), (5) monthly at a specified day, hour, minute, and second, or (6) at customizable period of time which can be configured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, or months.
15. "Auto backup also all additional databases - When enabled, also makes an automatic backup, using the above rules, of the additional 7 Sticky Notes databases, which can be configured at the Databases Section that are going to be explained next.
16. Manual Sync Button - Performs a manual synchronization of 7 Sticky Notes. When this button is pressed, 7 Sticky Notes closes all notes and forces a re-scan of the database, re-opening all notes afterwards. This button is used to force a sync when you are using a shared database file, for example between multiple 7 Sticky Notes instances.
17. Database automatic compacting - Sets the limit size in MB of the database for 7 Sticky Notes to automatically compact it. Using the example on the picture, when the database reaches 35MB, 7 Sticky Notes will automatically compact it. Note that if an additional database is selected, the compact button showed in this area will compact this selected database.
18. "Active Synchronization Enabled" - Enables the "Active Sync" feature of 7 Sticky Notes. The "Active Synchronization" feature offers an online update of the notes, enabling you to use the same database shared with several 7 Sticky Notes users on a network, thus making it in a team task tool. Note that if an additional database is selected, the active sync will synchronize over this selected database.
19. "Export Unidentifiable Database" - The export unidentifiable database button is a debugging feature added in version 1.9 to allow verifying it without seeing any of your personal data when some problem is found. It allows you to export a copy of your database (notes.mdb) with all texts (title and notes) scrambled randomly, so the information cannot be recognised, but still the data length and structure will be the same to allow a debuggin investigation. This button doesn't affect your data in any way, and it will only be asked to send it to me when an error is found and further debuggin is necessary.